Monday, September 1, 2008

New Doreen Cronin Book: Duck is back!

Each year I like to sift out baskets of books kids are not so interested in and add a basket or two I am anticipating they will enjoy. This year one new basket I added was an author basket that features the books of Doreen Cronin. Doreen has written the books you know and love including Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type, Dooby Dooby Moo, Giggle, Giggle Quack and Duck for President. These books all feature her loveable farmyard characters including duck, the cows, pigs and chickens. Why didn't I feature them in a basket before this year?
Another favorite series of books written by Doreen include the Diary of a Fly, Diary of a Spider and Diary of a Worm books. These just make my students and I giggle and think. They are clever and fun. I know you've seen them or read them.
Doreen also has two books with one word titles called Wiggle and Bounce. As a primary teacher, these books make me soo happy because they have short amounts of text embedded in a picture that includes part of a real photograph. My students love to read these books and pick out the "real" part of the picture. I love that I can talk with them about how writers take risks to write in different ways. You can see Doreen has a number of great books and I am so glad I finally decided to add her basket to our classroom library.
The best news is that I just picked up her latest book this holiday weekend. Thump, Quack, Moo is just in time for fall as Farmer Brown decides to make a corn maze for the Corn Maze Festival. Farmer Brown needs help and convinces the unwilling animals to help. Farmer Brown sketches, measures, counts and cuts each day to prepare his Statue of Liberty corn maze. Duck sneaks out each night with his sketch to measure, count and cut too. Isn't this sooo Duck! You know Farmer Brown is in for a surprise!

No comments: