A year of reading tagged me this week and I am just getting to the meme. In fact, I am realizing this is my first post in DECEMBER!! I am living day to day these days and can't seem to get ahead of the game. I have been a bit on the stressed side, questioning my teaching and really trying to figure out how to differentiate in the classroom. Today was one of the first days I had a moment to blog. I was so happy to just check other posts and think about blogging. I am amazed at the serenity I feel when I do what I want (read and write). So here goes...
7 things about me as a reader
1. I grew up thinking I was learner rather than "reader." What I mean is that I read because I liked to learn. I didn't really know how much I loved reading until I was an adult. I grew up reading because I was assigned books. I had limited learning experiences talking about fun reads and sharing books.
2. I power read over summer and holiday breaks. I love spending uninterrupted days with a book. It is hard to keep up with my own personal reading when working full time and caring for my family during the school year. I put professional books first on my stack during the school year. I know...boring.
3. I am inching my way through A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and looking forward to finishing it over Christmas!!!
4. My childhood favorites were the Betsy-Tacy series, A Wrinkle in Time and Bridge to Terabithia (I have no interest in seeing the movie).
5. I could spend hours exploring and reading blogs!
6. I love to read with my kids...Larry (8yrs) insisted on buying Clementine at the book fair
( he has been laughing out loud as he read it this week). Mo (6) loves non-fiction and Mo Willems. Curly (4) loves Skippy Jon Jones (I think he loves the way his teacher puts on his spanish accent and animates the antics of the cat wanna be chihuahua).
7. I am a picture book reader. Beth, a helpful book lover who works at Cover to Cover bookstore helped me find two of my favorites new additions to my room. Grumpy Bird by Jeremy Tankard and New Socks by Bob Shea.