Friday, March 9, 2012

Slice2012 9 of 31 Daily Reflecting

Each morning on the way to school, my boys and I read a daily prayer and reflection from Living Faith Kids.  I am a praying kind of person (hopefully not offending anyone with sharing faith type moment in this post). So, by setting this routine (which we have had for 2 or 3 years now), I feel like it is one way I can show them the value of learning and reflecting about life.

We read the short excerpt from Matthew 21:42 which begins The stone that the builders rejected has become the corner stone... Then proceeded to read the short story connecting it to how we can build the kingdom of God in our own lives by helping others and caring for others.

My fifth grader has become very willing to read these and share his favorite line from the reflection even somedays what he learned. It isn't every day that he is willing but at least 65% of the time.  My third grader has just been brave enough to read it aloud. Some days the excerpt and reflection are above what he can comprehend but we talk him through it.

Today he asked "How is this prayer?"

And without thinking too long about it said, "Well, prayer is talking and listening to God right?"

"Yea," he said.

"So these are kind of like short pieces from the bible with stories that help us think about the piece and a few words to lead us in what to say to God.  It really helps us reflect so that later on when God talks to us through things in our life or people in our life, we are ready to listen and change or just know what to do."

"Oh, ok." was his answer.

I am not sure if this confused him more or helped him but I know he is beginning to think, maybe even beyond how to read the words on the page.  We'll keep reading.

6 comments:

Jen said...

What a great legacy to pass on to your kids. I remember reading in The Hiding Place how the father read the bible every night after dinner. This seemed like such a powerful experience for their family. If we can build these habits while their young maybe it will become a lifelong habit!

Jaana said...

Great legacy to leave for your children!

Lee Ann Spillane said...

I love the conversation and you're son saying, "Oh, okay." Something that sounds so simple has actually taken years for you to build. Wonderful!

Carol said...

Katie,
I'm a praying kind of person too. I try to do scripture and prayer, pretty much every morning, but I don't feel like I have done as good a job instilling that in my kids. Now they are 16 and 18 and I'm really sad that I have not laid that foundation with them. Keep working at it! Those seeds you are planting will grow!

Cathy said...

Katie,
What a perfect way to use the drive time on the way to school. It is the small conversations over time that leave a mark.
Cathy

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing this resource, I had not heard of it and have a feeling I would enjoy it as much as the kids. What a great habit to have.