Friday, January 23, 2009

Trying to stretch myself: 21st Century Literacies


In an effort to stretch my learning as well as the learning of my students, I jumped on board the 21st century literacy boat by doing 2 things this week.

(1) Through a PTO grant, I applied for a class set of 6 Insignia Cam Corders that could be checked out of the library and put in kids hands to document learning. After sending a staff email to get a sense of interest, I had 7 teachers respond that they would likely use them in their classrooms. (Yeah!!) Now, just cross your fingers!!

(2) I am embarrassed to say that for the first time my kids went as a class to the computer lab. They have been playing on the Macs I have in my room all year but today we played on Pixie as a whole class. It was awesome. The kids walked in with a poem that they worked on fixing and revising (first grade style...noticing with a partner something they could fix or change) the day before. With their writing in hand, they added a text box and tapped away!! They then learned to add stickers (pictures) and some used the paint tool to add backgrounds and drawings. They had a ball!! I also learned to add their voice to their poem, save it as a mpeg and successfully emailed one poem home!!

I have been trying figure out how to add an mpeg (so you could see and hear her poem) to blogger but am completely stuck! If any of you experts know how, leave me a comment.

No comments: