Friday, January 2, 2009

Cybil Finalists

If you haven't visited other blogs who've posted links to the announcements, well, they are here.
As a primary teacher, I was most interested in the fiction picture books, early readers, poetry and non-fiction categories. After visting bestbookihavenotread, I thought I too might post about what I have read and some new reading plans after discovering the finalists.

In the the Fiction Picture Books Section, I realized that I truly have only read 2...A Visitor for Bear (well worth the read) and How to Heal a Broken Wing ( I am a huge Bob Graham Fan and loved this one...lots of opportunities for picture reading). I have reserved Big Bad bunny and Wabi Sabi. I love Chester but have not read Chester is Back! (I will just be buying this for my Melanie Watt basket) My own children enjoyed this as much as the first.

In the Early Readers Section, I was thrilled with the newest Elephant and Piggie nominees. These are just huge hits with first graders too. Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig is a keeper and becoming very popular with some readers in my room. Maybelle and Houndsley will be on my radar.

In the Poetry section, the one book that seems most primary friendly is On the Farm. You can see my thoughts about this book here.

The last section that I searched through was Non-fiction Picture Books. I read and own 2...A River of Words and Fabulous Fishes. Fabulous Fishes has been quite popular (the pictures and short amount of text seems perfect for 6-7 yr olds). I am reading A River of Words the day I get back as I connect my kids back into poetry (it is a biography of a poet, Willie Williams) Other titles that sparked my interest were Frogs and the Astronaut Handbook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
I found out today that the literacy guru I mention on my blog is also a mutual friend- Carol Price. I've been encouraging her to start a KidLit blog and join the Central Ohio group for our January date.
I did feel a little bit better when I looked at all the categories and I had read more books in other categories and had a couple others in the TBR pile.
Looking forward to meeting you in January!