Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Caldecott and Honor Books


It was on Monday morning that the winners were announced. Trying to teach while clicking back between ALA and twitter was tricky to say the least. I jumped happily when I read a comment on twitter inferring that that A River of Words had won, so I sent an email to the staff announcing the winner. I was thrilled and quickly announced to my first graders that the Williams Carlos Williams story had won! Cheers of joy and clapping followed because they knew this awesome biography. A few minutes later, after receiving a confirmation email from Franki, I noticed I had misinterpreted the information. A River of Words was an honor book but not the Caldecott winner. Whoops! I jumped too fast and was skimming comments instead of really reading them. Luckily, the gorgeous picture book The House in the Night was the winner and my kids had heard this great title as well. I re-sent an email announcing the actual winners apologizing for the mistake. My learning for the morning: Don't try to twitter while teaching and conferring with 21 6-7 year olds. Oh well! They did love the excitement of the Caldecott. I had a few kids who had drawn their own Caldecott award on the books they were writing that morning. Even young writers have dreams of recognition.

Here are the winners:
Caldecott and Honor Titles :

Winner : The House in the Night by Susan Marie Swanson

Honors: A River of Words by Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet
How I learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz
A Couple of Boys Have the Best Weekend Ever by Marla Frazee

No comments: