Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hello , Day!


I was very happy to buy the book, Hello Day by Anita Lobel on Saturday. With one copy left on the shelf, my very gracious friend Sarah let me take this one home. Sarah also recommended it to me and told me it was one of the contenders (for her mock Caldecott) that the kids were enjoying at Chapman Elementary.
What first makes this book so wonderful (to me) is that I have loved Anita Lobel for years and was thrilled to see her write and illustrate a patterned book. Second, the pictures and easy text are just primary perfect!! It is another to add to your shared reads that you and the kids enjoy together. Each farm animal starts the day saying good morning.
The Goose said, "Honk." The Pig said, "Oink." What they all meant was "Hello, day!"
Owl gently ends the day with his "whoo-oo" or good night.
The organization of the book makes this a do-able mentor text for first graders to notice, discuss and model.

2 comments:

Katie said...

This looks super cute... will have to check it out!

Anonymous said...

love this book too - it is so clean and clear and they got it right on the layout - large text, bold words, good spacing - excellent read aloud that will be in the hands of beginning readers successfully. Thanks for sharing.

josie