Sunday, April 4, 2010

Remembering to Play

I have a problem sometimes making my job harder than it really is. I think too hard about an idea or try to plan the perfect lesson that bombs because I tried to model and teach too much (thinking I can meet more needs in my classroom when really I know small group and individual conversations are my most efficient way of differentiating). I look at a standard and make it bigger and harder to teach than it really is. I forget to slow down, re-teach and ask the kids what we need to do to when management in the classroom breaks down.

This spring break I have thought about what I need to do bring back a sense of play throughout the day in my classroom for my students and for me. Taking time to read, think and create has given me some downtime. Amy Krouse Rosenthal, A Place for Wonder and the video clip (below) that I found after linking to presentation zen where I read about how great work requires great play (thanks to Mr.Bass) have all helped me feel ready to go back to school. I will start tomorrow with a few insights (and I guess goals)  I am thinking will help me.

Thanks to an old friend's advice, I will be chipping away each day instead of stressing about finishing something really big.

Thanks to Amy K Rosenthal (Ted Talk : 7 Notes on Life), I will be ok with my self figuring things out as I go.

Thanks to the post at presentation zen, I will remember that a feeling of play will keep me in the moment,
help me from taking myself too seriously and keep me connected.  









el

4 comments:

Karen Szymusiak said...

Loved this video, Katie. Can we spread the notion of play - living, learning, and teaching in the moment.

Lauren said...

This just makes me happy:)

Julie said...

Katie...I need to remember this advice! Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

I loved this demonstration. I can't wait to share it with others. The seamless connection between all of us and our brains can be captured in the classroom with so much simple play. We just have to harness it the right way to make it appear effortless.