Monday, December 29, 2008

Cat and Mouse


Today was the second time Cat and Mouse by Ian Schoenherr caught my eye. The first was at NCTE in the publishers booth and the second was today at the library. While I am patiently waiting for many of the books I reserved that could be Caldecott worthy, I decided to add Cat and Mouse (which had two votes for a mock Caldecott on good reads) to one of the read alouds I will introduce after holiday break.
As I read this story, I was immediately reminded of the antics of Tom and Jerry. These characters (cat and mouse) tease and provoke each other to the story lines of two familiar ryhmes (Hickory Dickory Dock and Eeny Meeny Miney Mo). Each time it seems the mouse has the upper hand. Though after chasing, creeping, sneaking and pouncing, these two seem to work it all out. Worst of enemies but best of friends at the end. The pictures are beautiful and I love the extra large font of the nursery rhyme text. The text in between the rhymes of course connects the story and is rhyming as well. I am anxious to hear what the kids will say and predict about this unpredictable friendship.

No comments: