Monday, October 19, 2009

Manfish: The Story of Jacques Cousteau by Jennifer Berne


Last week, I shared a new purchase with my students and added a new book to our biography basket. It was a fabulous find for a biography. The pictures were inviting and the story sucked in the students and had them yearning to explore and create like Jacques Cousteau. The biography called Manfish: The Story of Jacques Cousteau encouraged them to find connections with Jacques and want to know more.

Jacques grew up a wonderer, a risk taker and a creator. In this story about his life, Jennifer Berne retells his life as a boy and later as an explorer with poetic storytelling. My students learned of Cousteau's development of scuba gear and underwater lungs. They learned about his interest in filmmaking that led to documenting his underwater adventures. And they learned about his passion for caring and protecting the underwater creatures of our world. This book has been one of my most favorite shares this year and I think my students would agree. Check it out. If you go to this link, you can see the first few pages in the Google preview at Powell's.

No comments: