Thursday, January 22, 2009

One Little Word


After reading a post by Stella a few weeks back, I have been thinking about what my "one little word" could be this year. I knew if I thought too hard about it, I wouldn't figure it out. I knew that if I were patient, I would hear it. I would see it. I would feel it. I would find that word, that I want to embrace this year.
Last Sunday I listened to a man share words about the importance of "realizing that our own good is linked to the common good." I couldn't help but think about how every little kind word and action impacts others. I couldn't help but be reminded of how important it is to respond with love. As a teacher, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a spouse and a friend I am challenged to respond with love each and every day. Love that is listening, comforting, and sharing. Love that is setting boundaries and expectations. Sometimes it comes naturally. Other times I fight it. Love sometimes takes every bit of energy that I can muster but I know in the end that if I love so will others.
My word in four letters...love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I picked a word instead of a New Year's resolution this January. I picked "nurture" because it makes you consider so many aspects of your daily life, what you say to others and even what you think and resist sharing. It really helps as a reminder/mantra...nurture when another tone/voice/attitude could emerge.
Andrea

Anonymous said...

I knew that LOVE had to be your word, you exuberate love in all you do. Thank you for helping me to remember that responding with patient love is what is needed most.
Josie

Stella said...

That's so true...if you listen, if you are just patience, that word comes to you because it is part of who you are.
Stella

Anonymous said...

Fits you perfectly, Katie! :)
Julie S. :)