Friday, September 5, 2014

Equal Shmequal

I'm learning with third graders this year and beginning to get used to what makes them think, laugh and learn.  It has been interesting experimenting with picture books and learning from my teammates which books may work for read aloud.

Today I encouraged my students to think about what equal means.  The book, Equal Shmequal, is one of my favorites for helping kids begin to think deeper about the word...equal.  What I also realized as I read it aloud  that it made my kids laugh and think. They were turning and talking to each other on their own as I read it.  It was nice to see kids engaging after being together for 12 days.

To help build understanding, we jotted our thoughts about the word equal before reading the book and after reading it. The conversation we had will be one that we can refer   back to throughout the year.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Katie,
This is a great post for a new project I'm trying to get going, Math Monday. It's really an idea I had and then Franki sent a text and said we need this, you organize it and as I do with Franki, I said yes. I hope you might join us in the future.

http://enjoy-embracelearning.blogspot.com/2014/09/math-monday-family-math-took-kits.html

I must pick up this book.

Loralee said...

It's one of my favorites too! Like the anchor chart you used!

Obiuser said...

gan good job, this article is very interesting to note, cool deh,, of course we have new insights that we get after reading it, thanx yah :-)

cara alami menyembuhkan jantung iskemik,cara alami menyembuhkan maag akut,cara alami menyembuhkan bronkhitis,cara alami menyembuhkan lambung bocor,cara alami menyembuhkan cacar air,cara alami menyembuhkan osteomalasia,cara alami menyembuhkan mioma uteri,obat klep jantung bocor herbal,obat tradisional gula basah,obat jantung koroner herbal berkualitas,obat amandel herbal,cara alami menyembuhkan ginjal polikistik,pengobatan kram usus herbal,cara alami menyembuhkan leptospirosis,cara ampuh mengatasi radang sendi,obat penghancur batu ginjal yang alami,obat tradisional hipertensi mujarab,obat tradisional gagal jantung kongestif,obat tradisional diabetes insipidus,pengobatan tradisional ejakulasi dini,obat pengecil perut buncit,pengobatn tradisional batu empedu,pengobatan tradisional penyakit liver,cara alami menurunkan darah tinggi,obat penurun asam lambung,