Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Green Line by Polly Farquharson

After immersing with my students in wondering (heart wondering, inspired by A Place to Wonder, second grade wonders) about the world around them, I just can't help opening new picture books to see how they might inspire kids to wonder. The book, The Green Line, has become my new favorite book for storytelling wonders. It tells the story of a young girl's wonderings with her mother as they walk through the park. It is filled with gorgeous photographs of wonders that the little girl experiences along her way with a simple green line that mimics her play and movement throughout the stroll.

There is so much I love about this book:

1. Lots of picture reading (you know that deeper reading of the pictures in text that gives the reader more understanding about the story) with the way the author decides to use the line as a character layer on top of the photographs.

2. It is a narrative that is inviting and interactive. I sometimes think the personal narrative gets stale in primary classrooms and I am always looking for ways to connect it to authentic experiences we share together so I can scaffold. I can envision kids grabbing their cameras and heading out for a walk around the (in or out) school next year. This book would be a great mentor text for narratives told through photography.

3. As I read the book, I thought about how the pages could easily be slides in a voice thread. The green line would be easy to imitate using the line option (like in Jack's Bike Ride Voice Thread) after uploading pictures.

Other reviews are here. Check it out!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow! I love this book. It's in my shopping cart. It will go right along with our "noticing the world" that we've been doing. I hope I get it before school is out so that I can share it with the kids. Julie