Friday, February 5, 2010

I Want A Dog by Helga Bansch


One of the most loved baskets of books in my classroom library is the basket of Dog and Cat Books. My students love to sit and read about two of their favorite pets. As a result, I am often looking for great stories to add to this basket. Yesterday, I found the book, I Want a Dog by Helga Bansch and loved it.

First, the cover invites you in to read. I love the different dogs (easy to draw: a little girl in my room decided to make a poster for 100 day using the dog illustrations on the cover to guide her). The story begins with a little girl named Lisa, who like many children, ask "twenty-one times a day" if she can have a dog. Her parents insist that there is no room in their apartment; it is just too small. Lisa tries being very good and then tries to be naughty and then finally creatively advertises that she is interested in borrowing a dog. Her wish comes true when Rollo waddles into her life.

This book easily won the hearts of my students, especially the little ones who are longing for a dog of their own!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

My class would love this book. I am adding it to my list. Thanks for sharing.