Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Go To Bed, Monster ! by Natasha Wing


I have spent more on books over the past two weekends than I have all year!! I am treating myself and my students because I am looping to second grade next year and I know they have read almost every book in our class library. So, I am hungry for new reads. I can't tell you how exited I am to share another year with them. Second reason for all the spending is the great sale I went to last weekend (hard backs $5 a piece!!). I couldn't pass up the goods.

Go to Bed, Monster is a story that I fell in love with at the sale. It reminded me right away of Harold and Purple Crayon as Lucy, the little girl, decides to draw instead of going to bed. She draws some shapes that come to life as a monster. She and the monster play and play until she is exhausted. She draws him a number of remedies to help him get to sleep but finally a book does the trick. This works as a read aloud and then fits right in the hands of transitional readers.

3 comments:

Franki said...

How did I miss this one???

Mandy said...

Congrats on the move. I taught multi-age for many years and loved that my first graders stayed with me for second. Your year will start from the word go.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were looping, Katie. Your class is lucky to have you at the helm once again. Happy Summer! Lisa G.