Thursday, March 12, 2009

Using iMovie: Literacy Alive in the K Classroom

How would you feel receiving an email that included a movie of your child reading a piece of writing he/she had written? Well, it made me smile. Then we (my K son and I) watched it together and talked about the fun we have up at Grandpa's house. Of course then I emailed it to just about everyone in my family.

This is one of the many ways Curly's teacher is thinking 21st century literacies in her classroom. Thanks Maureen for this precious gift! Thanks to Maureen also for helping me practice using imovie at lunch. She demoed it and I decided to jump in and try it this afternoon. One of my students (yes, a first grader who has played on imovie with an older brother at home) also talked me through using it as I asked the kids to retell our thinking and planning for a map project we are undertaking. I think I will put the student who has experience in charge of recording and dragging clips tomorrow. Just sharing that little bit at lunch helped me begin to think about how to integrate with what I am already working on. I have to say it is energizing me to think in new ways about how we can make authentic learning visible!!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Fabulous, what a great way to share with parents. You've got me thinking I have to learn how to do this, too. Curly is cute!

Mary Lee said...

Way cool, and why didn't I think of that?!?!?!

Cassy said...

I love it! I can totally see doing this in my class. Of course, there are the issues of time, and equipment, BUT often those are just excuses for not trying new things! I can't wait for testing to be over (in May) so I can give this (and many others)a whirl. I'll feel more "ready" to go full force in September. So far, I've integrated the Smartboard and the wireless lab in my classroom! Yeah!

Christy said...

This motivates me to put my Integrating Technology in the Classroom degree to good use. Sometimes I let state standards testing prevent me from getting creative with technology. Thanks for sharing:)