Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Finds





Tanka Tanka Skunk by Steve Webb
Older book but new favorite in my room!
This book was recommended to me by my Kindergarten teacher friend Maureen. It has rhythm, rhyme and it just asks kids to participate in reading. My early readers are loving a break from guided reading books and can pick this up on their own. This book would also be a great way to introduce syllables or beats in words. The author invites you to clap the beats in cat-er-pill-ar. I went back and review beats in our names after reading this aloud and we talked about how beats (syllables) help us read and write words. The pictures are wonderful too!


Not a Stick by Antoinette Portis

Have you read Not a Box? Well if you haven't, you should! Both of these not- a books are all about imagination. The pig in not a stick pretends he's a painter, a rider and a weightlifter meanwhile insisting his stick is simply not a stick. Ready to practice predicting...the pictures in this story insist that you guess pig's next imaginary adventure. My first graders can't get enough and are asking for more. I've been suggesting they write their own Not A Book!

No comments: