Friday, October 26, 2007

Ah-ha's


Friday's Post:
You know during the course of a day when the lightbulb goes off and you have those little ah ha's. I find myself are more aware an emotion, a behavior or sometimes I notice something brand new. Sometimes the ah ha happens during a conversation with someone or as I observe my students interacting with each other or another adult. It is when that stepping back and watching happens when I feel like I can reflect on how I can better meet the needs of others ...my students, my own kids, my family or friends.

Today I had a few of those moments in the classroom. I thought about a moment I had with a writer when I jumped in to comment too soon. Later, I realized how I could have been patient enough to let that child lead a little more. I thought about a kiddo conversing with an adult and the time this adult took to really share and listen. This ah ha made me aware of how I need to be patient with conversation. Then I thought about when I was listening to a student read and I jumped in too soon with a prompt. I could have been more patient. Each one of my students deserves patience from me. Some days it is easier to give than others. I find when I slow myself down and practice patience with my self, I begin to breathe patience in the classroom. Usually if I feel I have had a patient day at school, I am not so patient when things get hairy at home and vice versa...patient, listening at home not so much as I'd like at school. There's that struggle with balance again.

Saturday's post:

On a lighter note...
Today I took a Cover to Cover break! I love the goodies I purchased (my goal was to spend under $100..didn't happen) and have filled my school bag with for Monday. I also love feeling like Santa at Christmas when I come in with new books. They will be fighting over them! I will share a few of my favs this week.

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

I hear you on the struggle for more patience, sistah. Double that when you're working with an ESL child who is composing a sentence in his/her native language and then translating it to English before they can get the words out! Bless their hearts!