Sunday, September 7, 2014

Holding On To Little Things

I've forgotten how rewarding yet hard the first few weeks of school can be.  I forget every year. Maybe because the learning and growth of the previous class is still on my mind.  Maybe we as teachers are programmed to forget so that we keep our expectations high.  Whatever the reason, the beginning of the year always rocks me physically and mentally as we set up routines.  I've been trying to hold on to little things as the weekend approaches so I leave with some feeling that what I am doing and what my kids are doing matters.

This weekend I held onto two little things.

The first was reading alongside a student who is learning to become aware of her strengths as a reader.  We met about a text I had pulled for her to support her. She has been finding a number of books that she enjoys and reads some of the ideas and soaks up pictures. She is unaware yet of how to self correct herself and solve problems when reading, so I was ready to supplement with text that she could practice everything including reading fluently and understanding. As I introduced it to her, I asked her to think about the the story (and pictures of course) whenever she encountered a problem.  I watched her read this and self correct herself for the first time in the 12 days we have know each other.  It was a small piece of joy when she used meaning to fix up things on her own.  Afterwards I asked her about what felt good about the reading and she said, "I figured words out."  It gave us both some happiness and hope for the year.


The second little thing I came across today as I was in my classroom skimming book bins.  I noticed the book bin of a little girl who had been sick for a few days this week.  I noticed her reading log and some post its on the front...
It gave me a little smile to think this little third grader was taking her reading in her own hands. She was taking the invitation to independence seriously.  

I've decided to not only to hold onto the little things as the week ends but to try to hold on to one each day this week. Our kids and our work matters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love how this young reader is taking over the responsibility for learning! :)

Obiuser said...

gan good job, this article is very interesting to note, cool deh,, of course we have new insights that we get after reading it, thanx yah :-)

manfaat mentimun untuk kesehatan kulit wajah,obat radang gusi tradisional,obat polip lambung tradisional,cara alami menyembuhkan usus buntu,cara alami menyembuhkan parkinson,obat tradisional untuk luka gangren,cara menyembuhkan tumor jinak,cara tradisional menghilangkan keloid,cara alami menyembuhkan peradangan retina,cara alami menyembuhkan darah manis,cara menyembuhkan penyempitan tulang belakang,obat infeksi kelenjar ludah herbal,obat faringitis kronis herbal,cara alami menyembuhkan kista bartholin,cara alami menyembuhkan impetigo,suplemen alami untuk tulang dan sendi,obat epididimitis herbal,obat hipertiroid untuk ibu hamil,obat herbal penghilang vitiligo,obat herbal psoriasis vulgaris,obat polip rahim herbal,obat kista baker herbal,cara alami menyembuhkan curek,obat herbal penyakit hidronefrosis,pengobatan alami radang kelenjar tiroid,pengobatan limpoma tanpa operasi,obat kolitis herbal,obat penurun trigliserida tinggi,obat demam tifoid herbal,obat darah beku herbal,cara alami menyembuhkan tukak lambung,cara alami menyembuhkan hidrokel,cara alami menyembuhkan dispepsia,obat paru obstruktif kronik herbal,cara alami menyembuhkan ispa,obat encok herbal,obat penghilang luka bekas operasi,cara alami menyembuhkan osteoarthritis,obat fistula ani tanpa operasi,cara alami menyembuhkan epilepsi,cara alami menyembuhkan perut bengkak

Arjun Kapoor said...

Thanks for the useful information. Right on. It's more informative and easy to understand. Please help me suggest
The Best School in Moolakadai
The Best School in Vyasarpadi