Thursday, December 30, 2010

Remembering Moments Instead of Stuff

Each morning I spend time reflecting to an inspirational quote written in response to a gospel reading for the day. It is a routine I have come to rely on that reminds me to keep life simple. Sometimes I am reminded to be thankful, to think of others instead of focusing so much on my needs, to take action when I feel passionate about something, to question, to not take my self so seriously, and very often to trust. Today, I read the words of Terri Mifek, a spiritual director for Franciscan Retreat and Spirituality Center that embraces all faiths in Prior Lake, Minnesota. She writes...
"Contrary to what the advertising world would have us believe, we don't need big houses, expensive cars and positions of power to enjoy life. We don't even need to be liked by everyone or receive accolades for our work. Watch any child occupied with making an imaginary meal or catching a butterfly and they will show you what it means to be fully alive."

Her words initiated my thoughts about all the happy moments that I had over the holidays like watching my son, Jack, win Risk when playing for the first time, feeling the excitement of hugging, talking and reconnecting with family from Georgia, and watching my husband entertain the boys by trying to balance a ketchup bottle on his head. I also thought about how working with 6-7 year olds is a blessing. Their natural curiosity and enjoyment of life in the purest of situations helps keep me grounded everyday. But, like 6-7 year olds I can forget. I forget about what really matters in the midst of stress. For today, I am glad that I was reminded to appreciate moments rather than stuff.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a refreshing post this time of year. I love the quote and will add it to a journal I keep of quotes to inspire me. Thanks for sharing your insights!

Julie said...

Katie, Your words ring so true. Thank you for helping us remember what is most important!

Karen Szymusiak said...

Thanks for the inspiration. The holiday break has reminded me to slow down and focus on what's important in my life. It goes back to core beliefs and what you are willing to stand for.

How can we do this when life comes beating at our door?

Lauren said...

Thank you for this post. It truly is so important for everyone to remember how important moments and people are in our lives. I have really been remembering and living that these last few weeks.

Katie Dicesare said...

Jennifer, Julie, Karen and Lauren -
Hope you are all enjoying special moments today. Thanks for your comments and Happy New Year.
Katie