Friday, March 19, 2010

My New Favorite Math Game Site

I am such a reading and writing nut that I often don't think about the benefits of technology in other subject areas.  I don't know if it is that I am right brained or left brained? Or maybe that has nothing to do with the fact that I think in one way or at least I think I do !?
After all the blogging we've been doing, I have noticed the motivation and excitement that technology can bring to anything!! So, I explored math games online.  Gamequarium.com is my new favorite site for practicing  math online.  This week we finished up some practice with telling time.  After our minilesson (on telling time to 5 min interval), I invited them to try time games at this site where they could access games that met their needs. There were time games that allowed kids to practice telling time to hour, half hour, to 5 min intervals and games to the minute interval. It was awesome. I could easily go around and assess kids I needed to check in with and practice with while they were all engaged.  It made me and them so happy!

Today, after finishing a life timeline project (more thinking about calendar time...years, months, weeks days), I showed them addition games for free math choice. One game  called Jet Ski Addition allowed the  kids to begin their own private game by inviting them to create and then type  in a password they create for their 4 person addition race.  The problem solving they worked through to figure out how to set up the game was awesome!  Gameaquarium has been a new and exciting math choice.        

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How to mod Xbox360 Using Modio. This video shows how to use the program Modio any questions...

http://gamesiteuk.x10hosting.com/index-2.html

www.gamesiteuk.x10hosting.com