Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Break Shopping


Well it is Spring Break this week and I have to admit that I am missing the beach. It just wasn't in the plans this year so my boys an I are making the most of it here in Ohio. We have seen a few movies, cooked out with family/neighbors and today enjoyed some book shopping!! I have to say choosing books has been the highlight for me. I walked out of Barnes and Noble with 9 books and spent 100.00 (Thank you PTO). I will share some with you and a quick thought as to why they are important for our room.

1. Mo Willem's newest Elephant and Piggie book, Watch Me Throw the Ball, is a must have for our collection. Mo layered in some rhyme in this book..."Need to throw a ball? Here's the pig to call!" Read Franki's review here.



2. I admit that I loved Duck! Rabbit! a month or two ago and am happy I purchased it today. In fact, the salesperson at the register was gushing over it as well. She said it was a staff and customer favorite. To understand why, click here to watch a video of the book. I know the kids will be fighting over it.








3. I couldn't pass up a book written by Kevin Henkes. The illustrations aren't his but the story is very first grade friendly and readable. I have many kids who are bird experts and I am hoping, Birds, this will inspire them to write about what they know.







4. I am a huge Jan Thomas fan and I am finally found Rhyming Dust Bunnies, a book that my friend Lauren (who also teaches first) reminded me that I needed. Another book filled with first grade humor and rhyme to top it off. Can't wait to share this one too.









5. Good Luck Bear is the third in a Bear and Mouse series about friends. These sweet characters are always good to one another and have helped us talk about the qualities of a good friend. I had this checked out from the library but now my kids will be glad to know that it will be a permanent part of our library.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been using all of these in my classroom during the last month. There is always someone reading Rhyming Dust Bunnies and Watch Me Throw the Ball- they are never in the basket for long!
I'm sure your students will love them!!
Kathy H