Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Considerations for primary learners
As the school year draws closer, I am already thinking about my assessment notebooks, curriculum packets, letters to kids and parents and all the good stuff that goes with the beginning of the year! As I was thinking, I jotted a quick list of factors that I am constantly trying to balance. Here goes...
1. Routine- Familiar, simple, visual.
2. Stamina- How much can they handle and for how long?
3. Scaffolding- The releasing of the kite string, patching and comforting...each learner needs a different amount of support.
4. Differentiating- How can I meet the needs of learners who are at different place and learn differently?
5. Inquiry- I think of it as the natural tool for turning learning into "fun." Guiding kids to explore, notice and take the lead in learning.
6. Identity as a learner...kids understanding themselves as learners, learning how to learn.
7. Student Balance- Looking at the whole child---academically, socially, emotionally.
What am I missing? So much to think about...