Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pete Happiness


This Friday, we are excited to welcome Eric Litwin to our school for a day of fun and excitement to celebrate a loved character these days, yep- Pete the Cat! I remember blogging about Pete after getting his arc in the mail the spring of 2010. Since then so many classrooms have enjoyed Pete and learning to read with his catchy tune and feel good message. Pete has also evolved into a series and I know my kids are looking forward to the 3rd book this spring: Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons.

To build excitement for our author visit, the kids had a chance to stamp Pete book marks, create Pete puppets, and listen to Pete read alouds at our local Barnes and Noble last Saturday. It was a happy day and a nice break from the stress I am feeling in the classroom with testing and data collection. After spending time with teachers who are under the same pressure, we decided that we have to find time (even if it is just small moments during the day or in this case even on the weekend) to keep connecting kids authentically to learning by modeling our love for books, characters and conversation. Even if we have less time, more students and more demands placed upon us, we can't let our kids down. We have to keep inviting them into to love learning.

So enjoy these Pete the Cat creations, maybe even be inspired. That's what we want to do for our students. Inspire them to pursue their interests, nurture their weaknesses, teach them to persevere, show them the value in community and, quite simply, to show them love.

The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil.
It is not for you to choose, what he shall know,
what he shall do. It is chosen and foreordained,
and only he knows the key to his own secret.

Ralph Waldo Emerson






4 comments:

Cathy said...

Katie,
I can't wait to hear all about your author visit. Loved your Emerson quote. We are lucky to walk beside our young learners as they find their way on the path....and you are right, our first responsibility is to them.
Cathy

Julie Johnson said...

Oh Katie, your words really touched me tonight. I am in the middle of drafting a blog post about giving older kids time to explore in the classroom and take a break from all of the testing stress. I actually thought of you when I was writing last night. We had a conversation last year at NCTE about this topic and it has stuck with me. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas and have fun this week with Pete! :)

vicky1970 said...

Cute blog , glad I found you. Come visit me sometime I teach first also.
Vicky
Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

Life Interlaced said...

I just used Pete in storytime this week. So much fun. I am so excited for you school!

Laci

lifeinterlaced.com