Sunday, January 3, 2010

Back to school with books to share

Tomorrow is our first day back to school after holiday break. I know the kids will be mixed with the excitement that comes with reuniting with friends to the ho-hum routine of school. I know I will feel the same way.

To make the day happier, I have loaded the room with many new ( and some old ) books for the kids to read as they walk in the door. They will walk in the door to find the baskets of poetry and rhymes neatly set out with favorite titles like Truckery Rhymes, Here's a Little Poem and Score. It is poetry Monday! ( Monday vs. Friday just works better for us in the classroom)

I also have set out some Caldecott contenders around the room. I know I will be talking about books like the Lion and the Mouse, Chicken Little, Otis, Jeremy Draws a Monster and All the World. See this link to view the finalists for the Cybils fiction picture books list. It has helped me narrow in on some of the best picture books of 2009.

Last, I have filled a shelf with the new titles I purchased over break that I knew my kids would enjoy. The newest fly guy book called Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl will be a hit. The Fly Guy series is perfect for second graders.
I also displayed on this same shelf a few picture books that Franki blogged about. A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose and Waiting For Winter were two of my favorite books I picked up at Cover to Cover. Also, a couple My Weird School Daze #2 and #3 that I know a few kiddos will devour as well as four books in the Rainbow Magic series that a few girls love.

I think sharing about our break, seeing one another and getting our hands on new books will help make tomorrow happier.

2 comments:

Stella said...

I can't think of a better way to start back again but with new great books to share! Happy 2010 Katie!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great ideas! My kids love Fly Guy, too!
Julie :)