Monday, February 25, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things...

It has been a crazy February!! I have so many topics I want to blog about but not enough time! (I am hoping for a 3rd snow day tomorrow as our county is under a winter storm watch so that I can dive into a topic) So for tonight I thought I would mention a few of my favorite things right now...

New Blog!! Literate Lives
This is a new kids lit and teacher blog worth visiting. It is maintained by librarian, Bill, and fifth grade teacher, Karen, both of whom love books and making sure their students are getting their hands on the newest and best. I also just went to their session at the Dublin Literacy Conference where they shared their favorite finds!! Check out my friends!

The Cow Who Laid An Egg
This book is a hit with first grade! Marjorie is tired of feeling plain and boring and not as good as the other bicycle riding cows. Her chicken friends decide to boost her spirits by planting an egg under her one night. Waking up to an egg makes her the talk of the farm and she begins feeling very unique. The other cows question how a cow could lay an egg but Marjorie is delighted with her prize and finally feels special. This funny and unique farm story is a great read aloud with delightful pictures. It has been in Mary's book bin all week. She is a transitional reader and it is a perfect just right book for her. I hope I can get her to share with others next week?

Strawberry Freckle Face
OK...I am a bit skeptical of actresses writing picture books but I have to say that this story was adorable and a hit with my first graders ( and maybe I don't know enough about Julianne Moore as a writer). I purchased it because I have a little boy in my classroom with freckles covering his entire face. He is a sensitive soul and I was hoping this book would catch his eye. Though, it is a story of a little girl who hates having freckles ( and tries every which way to get rid of them) the frustration she feels is identifiable for anyone with freckles. She hides under a mask one day until uncomfortable and itchy. When she pulls the mask off, laughter from a baby who points to her beauty marks helps her begin to accept her outward appearance. How can you be upset and not join in with the innocence of a baby? Having hidden from her friends, they are delighted when they see her without her mask. Freckleface Strawberry begins to feel loved for her person instead of her appearance (though she is still hopeful she grows out of her freckles). The boy with freckles in my room just pulled this book down to picture read it and was showing me all the parts he loves. I love that I found this book!

2 comments:

Karen said...

First of all, thanks so much for the promo of our blog! It's friends like you who got us motivated to try a blog ourselves, and now you help bring readers to visit us!
Second, I love how you go to the library constantly, always on the lookout for that perfect book to put into the right child's hands. Your kiddos are very lucky!

Jen Barney said...

Went to Karen's site- loved it! Glad you had a great time at your conference! You lucky ducks...